Living in the Pacific Northwest

As I walked away from breakfast yesterday morning, hot coffee cup warming my hands, camera bag on my back, and raindrops collecting on my eyelashes, I smiled.   To live happily in the Pacific Northwest, one must learn to accept the ever-present clouds and look for something beautiful to photograph on all of those gray days.

The quick trip I made to Port Townsend this weekend for my friend Erica’s birthday not only afforded a few snapshots, but a few chance meetings and new discoveries.  It was a great weekend.  And because I need to save my energy for the two American Lit papers I still need to write today, I’ll stop here and just show you the pictures….

Eagle sighting distracted me, and I missed my ferry by five minutes. I was actually okay with that!

A little red on the gray-blue horizon
A glimpse of a lighthouse behind a colorful hillside
A little bit of color along the road
At Fort Worden State Park

Rust, peeling paint, and a shallow DOF...this is what I love!

Advertisements

Comments

20 comments on “Living in the Pacific Northwest”
  1. Caryn says:

Nice photos. I especially love the rust shot. Sorry to inundate you with so many comments. It’s been so long since I’ve been here and I’m just very impressed with what I’m seeing. Your work is really evolving! (P.S. Having your inbox full of so many comments has either got to be annoying or a little like Christmas….I hope the latter!)

1. It’s more like Christmas! I’ve really missed you around WordPress, and appreciate all of your comments. And, I see you’ve gone from Cigi to Caryn now! 🙂

2. I love visiting WA. Everytime I go I love it! Being deprived of green and water here in the Mojave desert makes me love every second!

3. very nice! love the Eagle.

4. jfn2nd says:

these are fantastic! will you come to denver and give me lessons?!

1. Me, give you lessons? Hardly! You seem to be doing just fine on your own! But I really appreciate the compliment. 🙂

5. greysqrl says:

loving the rust photo… great 🙂

1. Thanks, Nigel! It’s been a while since I had a shot like that.

6. Jim Reed says:

Great shots Jolene! I particularly like the rusted bolt & peeling paint shot!

1. Thanks Jim! I’m a huge fan of the rust…the majority of my pics used to be like that.

7. I like grey days – they bring out beautiful colours.

How do you keep your camera etc dry when it’s very wet there?

1. Well Lisa, I put my camera away when it actually starts raining. But, there are certain covers you can buy to protect your camera. Some peole I know use shower caps.

8. Mike says:

Great shots – who needs a blue sky?

1. Thanks, Mike. Blue sky? Overrated! 🙂

9. Awesome photos Jolene. I love the eagle photo, what a great capture. I would miss my boat for that one too!

1. Martina – it was interesting because the picture of the eagle meant I had to catch a later ferry which resulted in me meeting someone quite interesting. So, it was a win-win!

10. Heather says:

Oh, I haven’t been taking a whole lot of pictures, but seeing these is giving me the itch. They’re absolutely beautiful. I especially love the second last one. Stunning.

1. Thanks, Heather! I’ve missed you around here!

11. parker365photography says:

I like all your images in this post. The red ferry really pops against the grey background. I’m curious if the eagle shot is a rare find? That was an awesome opening image.

1. Thank you! The eagle shot is rare for me…there are certain times of the year on the Skagit River when you can get some good pictures, but I’ve never been so lucky. 🙂